Knitting Librarian

A knitting scrapbook to keep track of things I've knitted and/or would like to knit someday.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Daisy Afghan

I was too braindead to work on the Kauni last night after getting home from work. However, in the quiet of not knitting anything, I had a brainstorm about the Droguerie Marguerite Scarf that will never become a scarf because I'm too lazy to sew all of the Marguerites/Daisies together. I searched my stash and found some cotton yarn I had bought to make lace curtains in some future house where we'll be staying for more than a year or two. It turns out that it's perfect for what I wanted to do with the daisies.

Here are the daisies in their curly, unkempt natural state, along with one bordered daisy:


Here's the first attempt at a border:


It worked o.k., but it wasn't quite what I wanted. After this try, I figured out that I could use Log Cabin quilting techniques to make these borders quick and easy. I wanted a total of 20 stitches on each side of the square, making a 4'x4' square. Using the backward loop cast-on, I cast-on 10 stitches, including three of the petal tips as part of the cast-on. Then I knit until the rectangle was about an inch deep, then cast off all but the last stitch. Then I turned the square, picked up 4 stitches from the edge, and cast-on another 10 stitches, again including three of the petal tips. Knit an inch, cast-off, and repeat. On the last side I repeated the previous step and then picked-up five stitches from the edge of the orginal 10 cast-on. It worked great! I'm very pleased with it. This is going to be much more useful than a scarf. Here are five of my completed squares. I have 45 squares in all, and I think I'll make a 5 square by 9 square afghan and put some kind of a border around it, depending on how much yarn I have left.

2 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

That blanket looks great. What a good idea.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

Just the very idea of having to seam all of those squares is enough to give me nightmares! Good for you for finding a way to use all of those cute little daisies!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home