Knitting Librarian

A knitting scrapbook to keep track of things I've knitted and/or would like to knit someday.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Wedding Shawl

I'll start this blog with one of my favorite projects. I got married last summer, and being an obsessive knitter, I wanted to wear something handmade. I considered knitting my own wedding dress, but decided that I had enough to do with planning the wedding in 4 months. Instead, I decided to make a wedding shawl.

When I first started to knit, the group of friends I learned from would often talk about knitting "good juju" into their projects. I knew that I wanted my wedding shawl to be a community effort, and I wanted to import good juju into it from everyone I know and love who knits. It was a wonderful experience. I contacted friends and family from near and far and met with them and asked them to knit a row or two on my shawl. All of the stitches would blend with my own stitches to symbolize who I am and the people who have influenced my life. The people who contributed included my 85-year old grandma, my mom, my step-mom, my mother-in-law to be, my old college friends, my friends who taught me to knit, my friends at work, and my non-work friends who happened to be knitters. I was able to meet with everyone in person and talk about the wedding and my plans while they knitted on my shawl.

The pattern I used was Madli’s Shawl by Nancy Bush, published in the Summer 2004 issue of Interweave Knits. Here's a picture of the shawl from that issue:


I changed the pattern a little bit, taking out the nubbs in the body of the shawl but leaving them in the borders.

Here's the shawl in action at our wedding:

3 Comments:

Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

Phew--it looked like you might get your shawl in the cake in that last photo! :0

A little wedding shawl question: have you worn your wedding shawl since the wedding?

My mom made a beautiful shawl for my wedding and I haven't worn it since. It's backwards, I know, but it's so special because it's my wedding shawl that no occasion seems special enough to wear it again. But that means it just sits in my closet. Silly!

I'm waiting to see the baby sweater you just finished. Photos, please!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

Hey, Knitting Librarian--I left a comment, but Blogger didn't like it, or something, but it's still in my comments view...can you see it?

3:21 PM  
Blogger Knitting Librarian said...

Dear Nerdy Knitter,

No, I haven't worn my shawl since the wedding. It's currently serving as a bookshelf scarf in our guest bedroom. But, I'm considering wearing it over a sleeveless dress when I go to Mr. Knitting Librarian's award ceremony for his recent phd paper coup. I'm going to try really hard not to spill anything on it.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home