Knitting Librarian

A knitting scrapbook to keep track of things I've knitted and/or would like to knit someday.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Baby Sweater Factory

In the past 6 weeks I have knitted 3 baby sweaters. One for a baby already born, and two for babies not yet here. I used the rosebud cardigan sweater pattern from Erika Knight's Simple Knits for Cherished Babies. I love this pattern because it's fast, it's easy, it only take two 50g balls of baby yarn, and it's small enough that you can give it to a newborn without having to tell the parents that their child will grow into it someday. Other baby sweaters I've made end up looking like they should be for a giant mutant baby the size of a three year old.

Here's my favorite sweater of the batch:

Another great thing about this pattern is that you can use up leftover sock yarn. For this one I used sock yarn on the front and then misc white baby yarn for the back, arms, and neck.

Here are the other two sweaters (one finished, and one steamed and ready to sew together). I had hoped to find really cute baby buttons for these sweaters, but the only place I looked, Jo-Anns, didn't have much of a selection. The yellow sweater will have little ducky buttons.

I spent all day yesterday sitting on the couch and knitting. It was great. I'm trying to recover from a cold and I knew that Saturday would be my only day off for two weeks, so I took advantage of it and stayed in my pyjamas all day and knitted. I made a lot of progress on sleeve #1 of my Poetry in Stitches cardigan:

Sweater sleeves are like socks. Once you finish the first one you wish you were done. Too bad it's a hassle to do them both at the same time. I know someone who works on two socks at once because she hates having one done and one left to do. I don't think I have enough needles (or motivation) for that.

Here's the body of the sweater:

And I have to show off the inside. I'm glad I learned two-handed knitting:

That's it for now. Next time I'll post photos of the yarn I'm spinning to make Knitty's Clapotis shawl/scarf (inspired by seeing my friend the Nerdy Knitter's beautiful version).

So many projects, so little time! (Note: my husband's Phd advisor states his wife's occupation as "Fiber Artist." Our joke around the house is that my husband will get a great a job in a few years and I'll be able to quit working and stay home and be a Fiber Artist. You never know . . .)

2 Comments:

Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

Aah, to be a Fiber Artist...what a life! Something to dream about, for both of us "PhD Widows."

That sock yarn baby sweater is beautiful--no wonder it's your favorite! Did you have to do any (gasp!) math to figure out how to make it stripe like that, or did you just take your chances? I'm going to have a lot of extra sock yarn after I finish my Little Runes socks for Nephew #1, and it would be fun to make a sweater for almost-Nephew #3. Something to think about...

1:16 PM  
Blogger Knitting Librarian said...

Hey nerdy knitter,

I didn't have to do any math to get the striping effect, but I did get lucky by casting on both sides at roughly the same spot in the color spacing on the yarn, so that the left side mirrored the right side in terms of where the color divides went.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home